Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fit for a King

I practiced law for more than 20 years in a rural area of Florida. During that time, my law partner and I sometimes received legal fees and gifts from clients in a manner other than cash. One client brought me turnip greens. We received watermelons. My law partner became the owner of a Great Dane. One of my clients did a reverse fee- she took two of my cat’s kittens.
My most memorable gift was paid to me in chickens. These were not squawking, flapping chickens, or poultry purchased from Winn Dixie. My client called them “yard chickens”- we would now refer to them as “free range”. This woman caught her yard chickens, scalded, plucked, cleaned and dressed them. She prepared them to roast, with side items, stuffing and gravy.  This simple meal was fit for a king because it was a gift given from this woman’s heart.
As we read this week about stewardship and our giving to God, I remembered this gift to me, which included this woman’s time, talents, gifts and service. Are my gifts to God gifts from the heart, fit for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords?

We are asked why giving is a matter of the heart- what do you think?

1 comment:

Pic said...

Kathy,
Love the free range Chicken story. Both as story and lesson. Thanks. We can give money, presents, things .... but the real value is in packaging the things with meaning ... making it a feast, which is from the heart. I remember when we lived in Connecticut and walked around begging on All Hallows, making the fallen leaves swish, spooked by the shadows, Laughing. It was fun to fill your bag with sweets, but there was one couple, at the end of a dark lane, apparently childless, who had cookies and little tiny cups of hot chocolate .... each with a dab of real whipped cream and cinnamon. Warming on a chilly night. As we sipped our chocolates, they beamed at us, and then shook our hands with thanks for visiting. I can remember that experience, their warm faces, as though it was yesterday. You remember love. Given and received.