Monday, March 14, 2011

Lenten Reading Plan: John 1:1-28

S=Scripture
Read John 1:1-28
(I am reading in The Message interpretation)

O=Observation
A description of the Cosmic Jesus (The Word) who then “moves into the neighborhood.” Wow!
I have a love/hate relationship with The Message interpretation of scripture. Today, I love it. Cosmic Jesus is Word, Life-Light, One-of-a-kind God-expression. This captures and expands my image of Jesus so much. These days I need a BIG Jesus!

A=Application
I am reminded of the Leslie D. Weatherhead book Your God is Too Small. I don’t know why I need a Big Jesus today…

Word: I love words… a collection of letters that come together and have such power and beauty and delight! But Word, THE Word, is indescribable when it comes to words. But then again John does a beautiful job here at the opening of the gospel.

Life-Light: I love that word string… reminds me of the creed, Nicene… “God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God…”

One-of-a-kind God-expression: Aren’t we all??

(I am not so good at this application piece….)

P=Prayer

God, thank you for The Word and for words. Be with all of us who are beginning this Lenten journey in the gospel of John. May we be renewed in our love and passion for Jesus. Amen.

I SOAP-ed! Did you?

1 comment:

Lisa Degrenia said...

Hello from all your friends at Community UMC in DeBary. So glad we are all reading John together this Lenten Season. - Pastor Lisa <><

ps- Pastor Beth you're doing fine on the application part of your SOAP. "I need a Big God right now." That's a character trait of God and a promise of God to be claimed and enjoyed.