Thursday, May 21, 2009

Soul Cafe

Our text is the same as last week: Matthew 5:13-16. Last Sunday our focus was on being salt. This Sunday our focus is light.


13 "You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot. 14 "You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. 15 No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven."

1 comment:

Lynne Evette said...

Sorry I missed the sermon last week...sounds like it was very "spicy."

You are the light of the world. Jesus isn't giving me an option of being the light of the world, he is commanding me. He didn't say should be or if you want to be, or try to be, but said "you are." Even though at times, I feel like my light is pretty dim, I know that my church is the candles on the cake, with rays of light glowing through us in our love for each other and our caring and compassion of the homeless and the hungry. We are illuminizing what God has already done, and is doing in the world.